Training for the Week of 3/18 – 3/24
(Practice starts at 3:00pm in the High School Gym)
Sunday – Recovery, Stretch, Ice, Drills, Yoga, Bike, or Swim
Monday – (Myrtle)/ Foot Drills (Bare Foot)/ Foot Stability/ Hips/ Core/ Skips (Outside)/ Triple Shamrock/ 2x 150m/ Standing AIS/ Groups
Tuesday – JeffCo Scrimmage – JeffCo Stadium or Myrtle/ Foot Drills (Bare foot)/ Foot Stability/ Hips/ Core/ WO/ Standing AIS/ Groups
JeffCo Scrimmage – Ashley E, Brandy, Brooke K, Tori C, Logan B, Jeremiah, Alex, Austin, AJ, Stosh, Ashton, Micah
Wednesday – (Myrtle)/ Foot Drills (Bare Foot)/ Foot Stability/ Hips/ Core/ Skips (Outside)/ Fire Fighters Park/ 4 Strides/Standing AIS/ Groups
Thursday – JeffCo Qualifier #2 – JeffCo Stadium or Myrtle/ Foot Drills (Bare foot)/ Foot Stability/ Hips/ Core/ Old Chicago/ Standing AIS/ Groups
Friday – Foot Drills (Bare foot)/ Foot Stability/ Hips/Full Core/ Skips (Outside)/ Uno Shamrock/ Standing AIS/ Groups
Saturday – 8:30am @ Ferrufino Park
Post-Run Recovery Starts with Protein – Amy Reinink
Talk Your Way to the Top – Derek R. Marr, PH.D
The 5 Ingredients that belong in your Fridge – Lindsey Emery
The Right Way to Carbo-Load before a Race – Dimity McDowell
Foam Rolling? Do it Right – Jenny McCoy, Carl Leivers
Running on Air: Breathing Technique – Budd Coates, Claire Kowalchik
Gear Tip: Dry out Soggy Sneaker – Jeff Dengate
Favorite Team Podcasts
Final Surge by Dean Ouellete
Out in Front by Kirk Nicklaus
1. Rate your pain level: 10 being you need to go to the ER, you are in excruciating pain. 1 being you barely feel anything but there is something dull and achy. On this scale if you find yourself unable to run and in about a 6 or above pain then you need to text/email me right away and tell me what happened.
2. If school is in session and our trainer is around, please go see him. Do this after you do step one and contact me. Coach Swartz should be the first person you tell unless it is an ER type of emergency. If you need to see a PT because we are out of school, same as before. Tell me first (email/text), then head over to PT and find out what can be done.
3. If you have some achiness and yeah it hurts, but you can run without changing your gait much, then make sure you ice and rest a day and then resume running after talking with me. Epsom salt Ice baths and heated baths work well to reduce inflammation and promote healing.
4. It’s very important to do the extra work we do to try and prevent injuries, warming Up is vital to staying healthy. Myrtle, Skips and muscle activation (AIS) is very important. Foam rolling is key, core and foot drills should be done correctly. Running on dirt when you can is important as well.
5. Getting Sleep and staying properly hydrated is also very very important to staying healthy.
6. Shin Splints, stretching your hip flexors so you are not hunching over during your running and creating a gait that causes shin splints is important. Please make sure you do foot drills and myrtle before you run. Stretching and a massage of the lower leg, icing, compression socks and good shoes are also other ways to help prevent and care for shin splints.